That’s why The Body Positive came up with Body Positive Day, and you can celebrate with your New Moon Girls on Sunday, August 5, 2012, no matter where you are in the world! Helping girls stay positive about their own body image isn’t as easy as telling them not to listen to negative media messages, or telling them that they are beautiful the way they are. While that is part of it, it really starts with you.
Being outwardly positive about your own body mirrors how girls see themselves. So the next time you wish the girl in your life would just see herself for the truly beautiful girl you know she is, think about how you talk (and feel) about yourself.
Here are some ways you can celebrate Be Body Positive Day together:
- Get Inner Beauty Tips from New Moon Girls members! (And search “inner beauty” on NewMoon.com for lots of ways to help her feel great about herself because of who she is!)
- Do an activity with your family that makes you feel great inside and out!
- Make a point to say what you love about yourselves out loud.
- Stop negative body talk – you aren’t only hurting yourself!
- Have a conversation with your girls about why it is so important to make an effort when it comes to feeling good about themselves.
How will you celebrate?
Get more great advice on Daughters.com:
Girls sometimes won’t ask us the questions that are really troubling them about their bodies or sexuality. Here’s how to make those conversations happen.
Our subtle messages about weight can shame a girl and cause harmful bodyissues. Together, you can learn to be happy at any size.
During their teen years, girls sometimes lose self-esteem. Typically, one signal of this loss is discontent with their own bodies
Parents’ Forum: My daughter’s only 9, but she tries to dress and act like a sexy pop star.