Is knitting an activity that you usually do from home? Did you know that your neighbor down the street probably likes to knit too? That’s why Worldwide Knit in Public Daywas created, to bring the community together and to meet others who share the same interest in knitting!
New Moon Girls is celebrating Worldwide Knit In Public Day all week long! Send us your pictures, videos, stories, and poems of you and your friends knitting while hanging out with others. Knitting was once thought of as a private activity that you do alone, so this event is important to show the world that knitting is a fun activity that you can experience with others.
New Moon Girls is all about letting girls’ creativity shine, and Worldwide Knit in Public Day is a great way to do that! Here are some ways you can participate this week:
- Submit a photo of you knitting in public
- Share your ideas on how or what to knit
- Tell us a story about your experience with Worldwide Knit in Public Day.
Many New Moon Girls members and staff already love knitting. Check out their amazing creations and ideas:
- AñA, 14, California wrote a tutorial on how to make a knitted flower pattern
- To learn how to knit Valentina, 11, Finland shares her tips for beginners.
- This poem about yarn written by Alessandra, 13, Colorado, is another way you can contribute to this week.
- Helen, the executive editor of New Moon Girls magazine, shares a series of videos on how to knit a hat!
You can make this week even more special by knitting items that you use to help others! K2TOG – Knitting the World Together is a store that focuses on living eco- friendly by using “green” fibers for their knitting. The Yarn Garden and Knit Shop has a Knitting for Others section where contributions are asked for, like knitting items for new mother and babies in the NCIU.
These are just a few ways you can join in Worldwide Knit in Public Day. If you have any more ideas or creations, send them into New Moon Girls!
New Moon Intern