How do you volunteer your time, money or talents to others? The holiday season is a wonderful time to remember what you are thankful for. It is also a wonderful time to give back to those who are less fortunate. Everyone has something they can contribute, and no time or talent is too small to make a difference!
December 5 is International Volunteer Day, a day created to recognize organizations that work toward creating a better world for everyone. Do you volunteer for a cause such as ending world hunger or fighting AIDS. Maybe you volunteer for a different cause? Would you like to?
New Moon Girls give back to others in many ways:
- MaKayla, 13, Vermont will be participating with Operation Christmas Child, an organization that brings gifts and Bible stories to children in other countries.
- Celine, 10, Oregon volunteered with the Ronald McDonald House, bringing gifts to sick children in the hospital.
- Emily, 10, Texas shared an interview with Caroline, a woman who sponsors a young boy in India through The Miracle Foundation.
- Valorie, 13, Washington and her friend Arielle began their own organization called The Helping Hearts, where they make and sell candles and give all the profits to orphanages in Romania.
- Charlotte, 12, Florida decided to give up her birthday presents last year and instead, she and her friends brought stuffed animals, books and toys to a daycare for disabled children.
If you would like to volunteer your time, money or talents but don’t know how, check out some very helpful message boards that are all about giving back! WHO LOVES TO VOLUNTEER? is for those who love to give back, or want ideas on what they could do. Are you looking for, or have great ideas for service projects? Join the discussion on the Service Projects message board. Or, check out Lila, 12, Hong Kong’s message board about her friend’s charity called Orphan’s Heroes!
Do you like to volunteer? How do you share your time, money and talents to help others? How would you like to give back? Tell us in your comments below!
New Moon Intern